Tuesday, April 7, 2009

First Job Out of College and Lessons Learned

I didn’t always look back very fondly on my first job out of college, although I do now. I was at Insight Global when it was in its start-up phase (second female to be hired) and I started out as a recruiter then moved quickly up to being an Account Manager. I was lucky enough to be taught by the owner and sales extraordinaire, Glenn Johnson. It was very high stress sales but I learned an incredible amount and think it was one of the best career moves I have made. I worked there only a year because I wanted to pursue a job in International Business and Spanish and the sales approach was a little too much for me. I cried when I put in my notice with the owners, as I did when I left my international marketing position at the Atlanta Convention and Visitors Bureau. I learned great life and professional lessons at IG. It’s interesting that I am putting these lessons back into practice (somewhat) after coming full circle from Sales to International Business to Marketing and back to Sales. Lessons learned:

-When someone walks into your business office ALWAYS get up immediately from what you’re doing (unless you’re on the phone) to shake hands and say hello. It sincerely makes the visitor feel important and incredibly welcome.
-I think I had about two emotional breakdown/crying spells at the office in front of coworkers. It was such an intimate, aggressive, results-oriented environment that any mistake we made we were immediately brought into the conference room by a senior employee then and there to address the error. And we were coached not to give rebuttals or excuses but to silently accept the constructive criticism. It took awhile for me to learn the benefit of this as the first few times my self defense walls were thrown up. This daily practice of in-your-face training made the office as a whole very close and connected as we all bonded over public exposure to our weaknesses. It makes for great colleague connections when all your faults and flaws are laid out on the table in front of everyone. And every single employee experienced this. A lot of people couldn’t handle it.
-Everyone needs a mentor! I would love to ask David Nour to be my mentor, but he is so busy that I am still preparing the best way to approach him and am putting together compelling reasons why he should meet with me.
-social get togethers also made the office closer. We had parties at the owners’ houses and were encouraged to go to company happy hours. Spouses and significant others were always welcome.

I learned a lot about who I am as a person and what I am (and certainly am NOT) looking for in a career. I think the best way to learn what you don’t want in a job is to experience it first hand.

No comments: