Saturday, April 18, 2009

Green Meetings Industry Council


On Thursday I attended a meeting of the Atlanta Chapter of the Green Meetings Industry Council (GMIC). A relatively new organization, the group is collaborating on green meetings and preparing to become a leader in the green movement for our industry. Once a very popular concept it got sidetracked due to the economy but is once again emerging. I have always been environmentally conscious – for years and years I have cut up the plastic that holds together 6-packs of soda cans so the baby seals and dolphins don’t get stuck and I do my part for the environment by also honking at drivers who throw their cigarette butts out the window. From an industry standpoint, I am interested and excited to hear what other companies are doing and see how we can be leaders by bringing these issues to the forefront and creating best practices for meetings and events. A couple other random thoughts that came about from this meeting:
· If advocating something, walk the talk. That’s one of the reasons why I blog. I personally believe that my company can make a lot of impact for our clients and their events by assisting them to incorporate a social media component to promote their programs and engage their attendees.
· People resist change – that is what the current economic time is all about in my opinion. People who have been securely stagnant are having to get out of their comfort zones and figure out who they are, what they want, and what new skills they need to move forward.
· Competition – in my industry, we are always crossing paths with our competition, and most of the time the exchange is friendly. I recently was listening to a panel at an industry meeting and the person next to me was making snide comments and belittling one of the panelists because he was their top competitor. It was a little uncomfortable and unfortunately made my neighbor look very petty. One of our competitors was on the GMIC panel and I thought he did a great job and had very insightful things to say. I even went up and told him so.
· Generationally, younger people are more involved in technology, CSR, and the environment. Get their guidance on any of these topics for new ideas.

No comments: