Saturday, April 4, 2009

Elevator Statement

Random person I meet out and about: “So, what do you do?”
Me: “I work in the event planning industry. It’s great!”
Random person: “Oh, that sounds like fun.”
Me: “It is.”

Yes, I am very guilty of having an awful elevator pitch in the past and not initiating an interesting dialog about my job. In the book I’m reading now, “Book Yourself Solid” by Michael Port, it talks about crafting an elevator statement by answering two questions: “Who I help” and “Why I do it.” Here’s what I have so far:

Who I help:
I help people who manage strategic events
I help corporate marketing and communications managers
I help people who plan face to face business events

Why I do it:
I love bringing people together
I love educational events
I love helping people with their business needs
I love communications
I believe in face-to-face business
I believe in making face-to-face business experiences the best they can be
I know that face-to-face opportunities offer people personal and professional development

I’m still not sure how to bring these together or even if this makes sense. It took the author six months to perfect his pitch, so I guess it will be a work in progress.

No comments: