Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Decatur Book Festival - Day 2


This was the first “real” day of the festival. I left my house early in anticipation of the overcrowded parking situation and by 10:00 am I was at my first panel to see Charlaine Harris. I’m still not sure how I ended up there as I had never read any of her books but knew she had a big fanbase. Wow, no kidding. The people to see here were not just fans, they were fanatical about her. And at the end of the panel I liked her enough to pick up a Sookie Stackhouse book at the library. Charlaine was personable, humorous, and down-to-earth. I wonder if she would’ve had as many fans there if not for True Blood.

Afterwards I took my time to visit all the vendors and walk around the square. I got several books for quite a steal – you gotta love that aspect of book festivals: cheap books! I also met another very cool vendor, an Atlanta-based Mom who came up with some very creative ways for kids to eat healthy: Cooking for Monkeys. Her blog is a must-see.

I also had the fortune of catching Diana Gabaldon (photo above). Again, never having read any of her books, I was curious what the hype was all about. I got into the line that wrapped around the building and started talking to a few of her fans. All loved her work and were excited about her upcoming book. She gave an interesting talk although she talked SO fast it was sometimes hard to keep up with her since the venue echoed. I was intrigued enough that I picked up her first Outlander book on CD, which I am excited to listen to. (FYI – books on CDs have made my workouts much more interesting!).

And lastly, courtesy of one of the many great food vendors, I picked myself up a delicious veggie corndog. And then proceeded to drop ketchup all over my shirt. Oh well, the veggie dog was worth it.

No comments: