Friday, May 8, 2009

Marketing Help for Creative Businesses in Georgia

I recently read an interesting article in the AJC's Sunday Jobs section. It caught my eye first because of the title, "Creative Businesses Get a Marketing Hand," and also because the cover photo was of a girl who I knew from UGA and Delta Sigma Pi.

The article is about how the Georgia Department of Economic Development and the Georgia Tourism Foundation are putting together a state-wide initiative to help market and promote creative businesses. More importantly, they are teaching these artists how to market themselves and do a better job of promoting their work. I mentioned this in a previous post - creative and technical people are great at doing their work but generally need help refining the business side, particularily in sales and marketing. Most people in general are uncomfortable talking about themselves, their accomplishment and their work. Women especially are too humble, which is one of the biggest differences in gender in the workplace.

The website to check out more about this is http://gamadegagrownproducts.org/. Not that I consider myself an expert in sales and marketing, but I'd love to volunteer and help teach a class or workshop. Maybe they should start a blog! Anyway, I am interested to see how this initiative pans out over the next year.

No comments: