Thursday, April 30, 2009

Why I Will Do a Great Job For My Company

The poop was everywhere. Not only did it burst out my baby’s diaper but it had run up his back, through his outfit, and somehow in the process of cleaning him up it got all over his hands, arms, and into his hair. Ugh. I was just about to leave and drop off my baby at my in-law’s house so I could get some work done and now I was late. But you know what? I didn’t care.

I didn’t care that I was running late because I am blessed with a VERY rich work/life balance in that I only work 25-30 hours per week, have flex hours, and can work remote ocasionally. So I don’t think the person I’m about to call on will mind if I call an hour later than I originally planned. :) And my boss won’t mind because he knows I’ll get the work done. And I don’t mind because it allows me to be in the moment with my baby Collin and then later on when I do start working I’m 100% involved in my work and I won't be feeling guilty that I’m not spending time with my baby. (Okay, well maybe there’s still a little guilt)

So I was able to enjoy the moment with my 6-month old baby, laugh about the poop situation, and enjoy the bath I had to give him that caused me to run 45 minutes late. My time with Collin as a baby is so precious and fleeting.

This benefit and balance not only makes me want to do a great job for my company; it’s WHY I will do a great job for my company. And that is a big difference.

No comments: